Latest news. Read more.

    Reach out to us. 24/7.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    How To Obtain A Restricted Licence?

    Speeding Drug Driving

    With the holiday season for most either having ended or about to end, you might be one of the recent people detected and charged with drink driving, speeding or other traffic offences on Queensland roads.

    For some drivers this will mean facing the New Year without a driver’s licence and may result in the loss of employment.

    This article discusses drink driving and speeding offences, and some of the ways that you might be eligible to continue driving on the roads under special restrictions.

    Drink Driving Licence Disqualification

    A drink driving charge will always result in a period of licence disqualification. The minimum disqualification can range anywhere from one month through to one year depending on the individuals traffic history. If you find yourself charged with drink driving, you may be eligible to apply for a work licence.

    To be eligible you:

    • must have a blood alcohol content less than 0.15% or only have a relevant drug in your blood or saliva,
    • must be the holder of a valid Queensland drivers licence,
    • must not have held a restricted licence in the five years preceding the offence, and
    • must not have been driving for work purposes at the time of the offence.

    If you are intercepted by police driving whilst your licence is disqualified, and you are not the holder of a restricted work licence, you will be disqualified from driving for a mandatory minimum of two years.

    Speeding & Demerit Point Suspension

    A driver intercepted by police exceeding the speed limit my more than 40km/h will be suspended from driving by Queensland Transport for six months.

    Alternatively, a driver who accrues more than the allocated demerit points on their licence (twelve for an open licence holder) will receive notification from Queensland Transport advising that they have exceed their demerit point allocation and their licence to be suspended for three months if they do not elect to be the holder of a Good Behaviour Licence for 12 months.

    A good behaviour licence carries one point.

    If the holder of a good behaviour licence commits any traffic offence attracting a demerit point penalty of two of more points during the twelve month period their licence will be suspended for six months.

    If you find you have breached your good behaviour licence or been charged with exceeding the speed limit by more than 40km/h you may be eligible for a special hardship licence that will allow you to drive for work purposes.

    To be successful in an application for either a work licence or special hardship licence you will need to satisfy the court that you:

    • are a fit and proper person, and
    • that, if your licence was disqualified, you or your family would suffer ‘extreme financial hardship’.

    How We Can Help

    Quinn & Scattini’s experienced traffic lawyers can assist you in determining if you are eligible for a restricted licence and assist with the application process.

    Our team has the experience and expertise to obtain the best possible outcome for you.

    As one of our clients said “Invest in the best. Q&S“.

    Contact Us

    Get the best representation. Contact Quinn & Scattini Lawyers on 1800 999 529, email, or submit an enquiry below.

    We are available to meet with you at any of our local offices (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Beenleigh, Cleveland and Jimboomba) or by telephone or video-conference.

    This article is for your information and interest only. It is not intended to be comprehensive, and it does not constitute and must not be relied on as legal advice. You must seek specific advice tailored to your circumstances.

    Traffic Law - Work Licences

    Back to News