Tim celebrates 15 years with RMO Law! Congratulations Tim! Tim is a Director and leads RMO's Family & De Facto Law Team. For EXPERT Advice Call RMO Law on 1800 652 969 or email firstname.lastname@example.org TODAY....
Residential Tenancies Practice Guide Released
A new Residential Tenancies Practice Guide has been released.
This guide outlines everything a landlord and tenant needs to know if they have been impacted by COVID-19.
- Tenants who are suffering or have suffered excessive hardship because of COVID-19 who cannot meet their rent commitments cannot be evicted or listed in a tenancy database for rent arrears.
- Fixed term agreements due to expire during the COVID-19 pandemic will be extended to 30 September 2020 unless the tenant requests a shorter term.
- Require property owners to only end COVID-19 impacted tenancies with approved reasons and required notice periods.
- Provide new approved reasons to allow property owners and tenants to end their tenancy agreement if they need to during the COVID-19 emergency period, including if they are experiencing domestic and family violence with protections in place to limit their liability for end of lease costs.
- Capping break lease fees for eligible tenants if their income has reduced by at least 75% and they have savings of less than $5,000.
- Owner obligations for routine repairs and inspections have been relaxed but regulatory obligations to ensure tenant safety in the rental property continue to apply.
- Tenants may refuse physical entry for non-essential reasons, including routine repairs and inspections, particularly if a member of the household is a vulnerable person. However, tenants must agree to virtual inspections if physical inspections cannot take place.
- Tenants and property owners should work together to reach agreement. If agreement cannot be reached, parties are required to undertake conciliation to resolve disputes and achieve conciliated agreements, which form part of the tenancy agreement.
How We Can Help
Our team of lawyers are experts in their field and go above-and-beyond to deliver the best result, each and every time.
We are proud to provide 5 star customer service to our clients.
As one of our clients said “Invest in the best – Q&S“.
We are available to meet with you at any of our local offices (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Beenleigh, Cleveland and Jimboomba) or by telephone or video-conference.
Residential Tenancies Practice Guide, April 2020, Queensland Government
This article is for your information and interest only. It is not intended to be comprehensive, and it does not constitute and must not be relied on as legal advice. You must seek specific advice tailored to your circumstances.